28 audio Reviews with Responses

Wicked Child Guitar Cover Wicked Child Guitar Cover

Well made! I'm not a pro in this genre of music, but I can say I love the sounds of the guitars. They are different enough from each other that they provide contrast. Suggestion: maybe give the drums a boost - I couldn't hear them well enough for my liking. A strong drum beat can drive the whole song along. Throwing in a small drum solo at the end of each phrase would be cool. Not a long one, just leading from one phrase to the next.

Overall, good work.

00guitarguy responds:

Thanks for the advice dude, I see what you mean about the drums. I've been a bit reluctant with adding fills because I've seen a lot of covers where people have gone overboard with them but after reading your comment I can see the drums are a little bit lacking. I'll be sure to add more variety from now on and also do some work on the dynamics :)

Best of Both Best of Both

Kudos!

That was probably one of the most creative mixtures of genres that the DNB portal has seen in a while! I enjoyed the smooth jazz aspect mixing with the driving drum beat. I love when genres start mixing; it really keeps the listener on his/her toes. So you deserve a "parabéns" for your creativity. The piano ditty was well done, and I feel that you meant for it to sound as if it were from an old recording, but I think I would have liked it better if it was more clear and resonant. I liked the transition from the jazzy latin beat to the DNB beat; my only other criticism is that I wish there was a (stronger) bass present. My speakers are bad, and I couldn't hear if there was a bass, maybe some wobbling, grainy bass sounds in there under the surface - not stealing the spotlight, but adding constructively to the whole.

Good work!

choopocobra responds:

woooot constructive criticism!!!

there was bass, nothing crazy at all though, this is meant to be more like utah jazz's stuff if u have heard of him.

-Orr- Colony -Orr- Colony

has some pretty good stuff going on

Nice work here, I really like orchestral rock. I'm not sure whether you used samples or a real guitar, but the solo guitar sounds realistic. Props for that. I would have liked to hear a lot more lower, dirty and distorted guitar in the bass line. Also, I don't like the orchestral sample. I know it is really hard to find an orchestral synth that sounds realistic, but I think that if you did, it would just add that much more to the song. Finally, I would really have liked heavier or louder drums. But I really enjoy what you have going on. I liked the flow of the song; the transitions were seamless, and once again, I loved the solo guitar. You did a good job mixing the rock feel and the ethereal atmosphere.

Kudos on a job well done.

5/5

DavidOrr responds:

Thanks for the review NightHawk. You know, I like the orchestral sounds. I think synthetic part is with the reverb, which I am DESPERATELY in need of an upgrade (I'll probably spring on a nice-quality reverb soon). I'm actually much less happy with the solo guitar (which is sampled, not real). I've spent a lot of time trying to make it sound as realistic as possible, so perhaps my ears are hyper-sensitive to it!

Great ideas about a thicker distorted guitar and bigger drums. I'll be making a few more revisions to this since I'm not quite happy with it yet, so those will be add to my to-do list.

Thanks again!

~ Midnight-Rave ~ ~ Midnight-Rave ~

Not bad!

It's a good song with good melodies and beats. Very creative, and the synths are used very artistically. I like how you speed up the tempo at the beginning.

In my humble opinion, I would like more of a heavier, deeper, louder bass synth. It almost seems as if there is no bass but only some low string synth or something. I don't really like the ending, but it works. That's what I would change, but over all you have skill.

I'm not claiming to be a master or that my music is perfect, but I do think that we can all learn stuff from reviews. Best of luck in your music - I'll try to review a couple other songs of yours throughout the next couple weeks if I have time.

Cheers,

Catstuffer responds:

Hey thanks, I guess It really depends on what kind of headphones you use to make a song. I always find the bass overpowering so I tune it down a bit. Mby I sound try a few pairs of headphones to see where I should put the levels.

Oh, and one more q... you can just PM me with the answer... have u ever / do you play BHD? (Black Hawk Down)

DJJuntas-Curse of Ahti DJJuntas-Curse of Ahti

Not bad!

For a first song, that is not bad at all! I really enjoyed the intro (up to 7 seconds). It gave the beginning a feel of suspense. You used good synths, better synths than I used when I started. I liked the melodies. I also like how you made the main synth glide from not to note.
If I could improve some things about the song, I would first give it a stronger kick / bass drum beat. That would help it feel more driving and techno-ish. Personally, I would do the bass notes on the offbeats instead of having the bass start on the first downbeat and hold through the whole bar.
Other than that, I liked your creativity. Keep working - you are already better than lots of people at FL, or even music in general.

DJJuntas responds:

THANKS!!! Yeah i rushed a little to get it out...i mean i've learned so much about fruity loops in the five days its been out, shows i could hav made it a lot better. still don't like the solo synth, working on that. And i copy pasted the drums a bit too much... But yeah thanks man!! might re-release it. who knows...

RezErection RezErection

spelling?

You spelled it wrong - it's Resurrection. Good tune, though! I wish it built up faster. But it was very catchy and well-made.

RyeGuyHead responds:

Haha I'll fix that right now for you.

I said it once, I'll say it again...my spelling is lame

Instrumental #4 (Karco Remix) Instrumental #4 (Karco Remix)

Awesome

Karco,
I really liked this one. It was awesome. Where do you find all your good drum samples? I seem to have a little trouble with that. Just wanted to let you know that I like your song and great work!

Karco responds:

All of the drums in this track are VECs 1 and 2. :)

Thanks for reviewing!

Odysee Odysee

Not too shabby

I wish there was a little bit of a deeper, heavier and more substantial bass to lead the chord progression, and I think the drums are ok, but I would like to have heard some kick drum in there. You did a good job with the lead synths, but it was hard to tell where the downbeats were b/c there was no kick. but not bad for a second song. Keep up the good work.

DJ-CawkNBawlz responds:

Thanks for the reveiw.

I'll probably remake the song sometime soon. The reason there isn't any kick drums is cause I didn't really know how to change the settings on anything, and I don't like any of the default kicks. I've been looking at tuts and messing around with it alot though, so my next subbmission should be alot better.

Surprise Ending Surprise Ending

pretty good

wow, that was pretty good. I think that would be a great foundation for adding drums and some solo guitars. Did you play that yourself on a guitar? I think the only thing that would make it better would be to make it a full-fledged song with drums and guitars etc.

yokomeso responds:

Ya, all of it was on my guitar,a full session with no stopping or editing (that's why it is hard to duplicate)

I thought the same about drums and solo, but to tell you the truth, i was really lazy and just exported the file on a high quality MP3 and uploaded it straight here.

If I were to come back to it (which I might) I would deffinatly get a beat to it with a second guitar in there somewhere.

Thx for ur review!

-={DJ-PHX}=- Fantasy Island -={DJ-PHX}=- Fantasy Island

I 5ed it to offset the zero bombing jerk

I like the idea of the song. It's really relaxing, and I like the melodies, they flow really well. I especially like when the counter melody comes in. It even kindof sounds like the melody and chord progression of ParagonX9's Defcon Zero. Just a little though. So good job on all that stuff. I personally would have used different synths, maybe different or louder pounding drums. To make it more trance-like.
Over all good job.

unrealdark responds:

ParagonX9!? Wow, not my meaning of all to let it sound like that. :)
And yeah kick those 0 bombers in the nuts! :D
Also thx for he review and the 8! :-)