Wicked Child Guitar Cover Wicked Child Guitar Cover

Well made! I'm not a pro in this genre of music, but I can say I love the sounds of the guitars. They are different enough from each other that they provide contrast. Suggestion: maybe give the drums a boost - I couldn't hear them well enough for my liking. A strong drum beat can drive the whole song along. Throwing in a small drum solo at the end of each phrase would be cool. Not a long one, just leading from one phrase to the next.

Overall, good work.

00guitarguy responds:

Thanks for the advice dude, I see what you mean about the drums. I've been a bit reluctant with adding fills because I've seen a lot of covers where people have gone overboard with them but after reading your comment I can see the drums are a little bit lacking. I'll be sure to add more variety from now on and also do some work on the dynamics :)

Best of Both Best of Both

Kudos!

That was probably one of the most creative mixtures of genres that the DNB portal has seen in a while! I enjoyed the smooth jazz aspect mixing with the driving drum beat. I love when genres start mixing; it really keeps the listener on his/her toes. So you deserve a "parabéns" for your creativity. The piano ditty was well done, and I feel that you meant for it to sound as if it were from an old recording, but I think I would have liked it better if it was more clear and resonant. I liked the transition from the jazzy latin beat to the DNB beat; my only other criticism is that I wish there was a (stronger) bass present. My speakers are bad, and I couldn't hear if there was a bass, maybe some wobbling, grainy bass sounds in there under the surface - not stealing the spotlight, but adding constructively to the whole.

Good work!

choopocobra responds:

woooot constructive criticism!!!

there was bass, nothing crazy at all though, this is meant to be more like utah jazz's stuff if u have heard of him.

Memorial Instrumental Memorial Instrumental

Cool beats, good layering. I like how there's a lot going on at the same time, with all the synths and such, it gives the song depth that many songs here in the Audio Portal lack. You are creative with the melodies. I have a few suggestions, though. The song doesn't seem to me to have much flow or direction. For example, start with less complex, move toward more complexity, then fade out with less complexity. It seems as though the song jumps around a lot with no "method to the madness." Keep it up, though. I enjoyed it very much.

Hopper Hopper

You should spend a little more time on your songs. A good song is more than just putting notes down in a program. Not sure I would classify this as dubstep - it lacks the "wub-wub" effect that basically defines the genre. Also, the song was too repetitive for my taste. On a positive note, you used the scratch well, and that can truly add to a song if used in the right way. So keep trying, and put more time into the creative thought process.

Arise! Arise!

Hey, I like it! It's got a catchy synthesizer riff that almost reminds me of Kansas. Good stuff. Not a big fan of the change around 2:25, but I think you tied it in really well and moved the piece forward in general. I would suggest that you maybe use another synth layer or two just to give it diversity. Maybe some distorted guitar playing power chords. Good work!

[GrayZ] Techno on Speed [Mast] [GrayZ] Techno on Speed [Mast]

Not bad, I'm actually liking it. Good work, man!

-Orr- Colony -Orr- Colony

has some pretty good stuff going on

Nice work here, I really like orchestral rock. I'm not sure whether you used samples or a real guitar, but the solo guitar sounds realistic. Props for that. I would have liked to hear a lot more lower, dirty and distorted guitar in the bass line. Also, I don't like the orchestral sample. I know it is really hard to find an orchestral synth that sounds realistic, but I think that if you did, it would just add that much more to the song. Finally, I would really have liked heavier or louder drums. But I really enjoy what you have going on. I liked the flow of the song; the transitions were seamless, and once again, I loved the solo guitar. You did a good job mixing the rock feel and the ethereal atmosphere.

Kudos on a job well done.

5/5

DavidOrr responds:

Thanks for the review NightHawk. You know, I like the orchestral sounds. I think synthetic part is with the reverb, which I am DESPERATELY in need of an upgrade (I'll probably spring on a nice-quality reverb soon). I'm actually much less happy with the solo guitar (which is sampled, not real). I've spent a lot of time trying to make it sound as realistic as possible, so perhaps my ears are hyper-sensitive to it!

Great ideas about a thicker distorted guitar and bigger drums. I'll be making a few more revisions to this since I'm not quite happy with it yet, so those will be add to my to-do list.

Thanks again!

DJ Juntas-Star Shout DJ Juntas-Star Shout

Review: Star Shout

First off, sorry it took so long to review this: my college network has Newgrounds on its block list. I am on break now at home.

I really love the start. You really show a lot of attention to the fine details in this piece. That is a sign that you are on the track to do some really great stuff. I notice you used the piano too. I really like a good piano in a techno song. Kudos for that. I like what you've done with it. You really used good synths too. This is a real step up for you.

It was a pleasure to listen to this piece. It was dynamic enough that I didn't get bored listening too it because it changed often, although there were a few repetitive parts. But techno by nature is very repetitive. You did some phenomenal work on this one.

Congrats!

Into Shit Into Shit

Techno / Trance = pretty much the same thing

I think technically this is considered a trance (?) maybe... but if you as me, techno and trance are basically the same thing. So, it's all good =D

Believe it or not, just listening to this piece, I CAN tell you do a lot of hip hop. It's not a bad tune. I don't think there's too much I can complain about. Your beats are very well done. Musically, there's not too much to this song. It's pretty much a little riff repeated on a dirty synth with a little drum variation. Which is not a bad thing. That's what a lot of techno is now days. This is a different style from what I'm used to making and listening to, so I probably don't have much constructive to say to you, but good job.

Warped Light Warped Light

Breaking the ice

By breaking the ice, I meant two things:
1) People, you CAN review this song! Hopefully after reviewing this, more people will do the same.
2) For a very first song, you did very well. Probably better than most peoples' first songs. Better than a lot of other music on NG.

So I have some things to mention that I guess I did not mention to you via email. At 1:22, the ending of the lead synth solo is very abrupt. I don't know the extent of your music theory knowledge, so I hope this makes sense - maybe if you ended the solo in the next bar on the tonic (first note of the scale of the key the song is written in), that would probably give the solo some resolution, kind of like a happy ending to a story, instead of leaving you hanging for more. Do you know what I mean.
The song is very repetitive, but that is not necessarily bad; that is the way you wanted it. The variation from solo to solo is good, but maybe if the song had a little more variation, that would enthrall the listener more. This is your first song published, so I'm not holding it against you.
I love the transition at 2:40. A simple silence or crash cymbal can really bring a good song up the next notch. It's the little things sometimes that make a song.
Over all, good work 0976! I am expecting some good music out of you in the future.
People of NG - DON'T BE AFRAID TO REVIEW!